Sunday, 16 June 2013

R. Azmi - Hitam Manis ('54 LP Version)

There was one particular song in the early 70's that I was drawn to time and again ie The Cats - One Way Wind. You can listen to it here. 

I've always thought that the song sounded more like a Malay song and I was proven right. It was one of those moments that flooded back all of a sudden and out of the blue. Deja Vu. Rewind to very early 70's. I was a wee lad, sitting in front of a black and white television. It was late evening, the sun was about to disappear across the vast expanse of the bendang across the road. The clock said 7:30-ish I think, and Bintang RTM on RTM 1 was on. This chap came on stage and sang "Hitam Manis". Didn't remember his name nor whether he won the competition or not. But the song sure got stuck in my head as I just loved the song. Have a spin of the version by R. Azmi from 1954 below, 


  

and compare it to The Cat's "One Way Wind". Bear any resemblance? You decide.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...